Monte Cristo’s are ham and cheese sandwiches which are either dipped in eggs or batter. They are then deep fried. This creates a crisp exterior and a rich, decadent interior. The Monte Cristo is a variation of the French croque monsieur. It was around between the 1930s and 1960s before it blew up in popularity in the 1960s in Southern California after Disneyland began serving it. Using our Multiseed bread Mix, we bring you a much healthier spin on the ultimate homemade sandwich.
1 packet No Guilt Bakes Multiseed bread Mix
215ml lukewarm water
1Tbsp dried Italian herbs
2 slices deli ham
2 slices mozzarella
2 slices of pickle
2Tbsp wholegrain mustard
½ cup milk
1tsp ground nutmeg
Sugar-free raspberry preserves
- Place the bread mix, warm water and Italian herbs in a large bowl, mix to combine,
- Knead by hand for 4-5 minutes, then shape into a rough ball. Place in a lined loaf tin, cover with a tea towel and leave to sit in a warm place to rise for 45 mins-1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 210°C/410°F. Bake the loaf for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool then slice.
- Take 4 slices of the bread and spread two with mustard, and top each with pickles, a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. Top with the other slices of bread and gently press down.
- Whisk the egg, milk and nutmeg in a shallow bowl. Press each sandwich into the egg mixture, turn to coat. Place onto a piece of baking paper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C.
- Lift the sandwiches and baking paper into the basket of an air fryer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the cheese has melted and the crusts are crispy. Flip the sandwiches over and return to air fryer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the raspberry preserves to dip.