The most important meal of the day doesn’t only have to be delicious, it should be healthy. Start your day with a wholesome breakfast, easy and quick to prepare. Nothing fits this better than a savoury waffle with baked tomatoes. This waffle can also be eaten as lunch, dinner and even a dessert. We don’t add any sugars beyond the sweetener which is already in the mix which is just enough to enhance the flavour but not make the recipe a sweet one. This allows us to create and Keto meals that are savoury as well! yet has an incredibly rich taste. We’ve kept it super simple and easy to follow. The Net Carb Count is at 5.5g Net Carbs per waffle.
If you’re a meal prepper and enjoy some savoury style waffles with eggs in the morning you can make a bag of these and freeze them for your convenience. Just pop them into the toaster to heat them back up in the morning.
We've included a little information on nutritional yeast as its the least familiar ingredient and we are keen to make sure that everyone knows about its amazing flavour and benefits!
Nutritional Yeast - the basics
Nutritional yeast (commonly known as ‘nooch’) is a yeast species called Saccharomyces cerevisiae which is cultured on molasses and deactivated. It's actually the same type of yeast that’s used to bake bread and pizza. However, this type wouldn't work well if you use it to bake bread because it is deactivated — it doesn't really rise.
There are two types of nutritional yeast: unfortified and fortified. The only difference between these two is that the fortified version contains synthetic vitamin B12.
As the name nutritional yeast implies, they are very rich in nutrients. Some of these nutrients include:
- B-Vitamins – Nutritional yeast is especially rich in B vitamins such as;
-B1 (thiamine) – Vitamin B1 is known for its energy-boosting properties. It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
-B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin) – Good for the skin, digestion, hair, nails
-B6 and B12 – Essential for mitochondria to make energy.
- Minerals – Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium
- Trace Minerals – One of its purposes is to help as a cofactor in enzymes. These include chromium, zinc, selenium, manganese, and molybdenum, which are involved in gene regulation, metabolism, growth, and immunity.
- Amino Acids – 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast contains 9 grams of protein. This makes it a good source of plant protein - even an egg has less than 7 grams of protein. It is also good for hair, nails, skin, muscle, and anything with protein
- Fibre – 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast contains 5g of fibre. They can help decrease insulin or insulin resistance indirectly which could also help you with your blood sugar. This makes it perfect for people on a ketogenic diet.
- Nutritional yeast are also gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and have very low carbs ( 2 tablespoons contains 6g net carbs)
Nutritional yeast can be found in many forms. It is sold as thin flakes, granules, or powder. It has a creamy texture and a cheesy, nutty flavour that makes it a perfect addition to any dish – just sprinkle it on your preferred meal or treat to make it a little more decadent. Nutritional yeast can also be included in keto recipes as a substitute for cheese. We hope you enjoy it. Please share how much
Notes you can make this EVEN lower in carbs If you take out the nutritional yeast and replace with cheese :) but we think the yeast brings an amazing flavour and is worth the 1 - 2 extra grams of carbs
• 72 g of the mix
• 2 Eggs
• 90 ml plant based milk
• 2 Tsp butter or coconut oil
• Quarter of an onion, chopped
• 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 Tsp paprika powder
• Pinch of turmeric
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Cherry tomatoes on a branch
• Olive oil
• Flaked sea salt
• Fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat your waffle maker. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mix, eggs, milk and butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add the chopped green onion, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Spoon some of the mixture in the waffle maker, close and cook for 2-3 minutes. Do the same with the whole batter.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in the baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Bake until soft.
- Serve waffles topped with baked cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with fresh basil and extra flaked salt if desired. Enjoy!
|Nutrients||Per Serving (2 waffles)|
|of which saturates||22g|
|of which sugars||4.9g|
|of which polyols||6.1g|